What to Consider when Handling Portable Solar Panel Chargers
- For best effect use solar chargers in full sunlight without any shades or obstacles.
- The solar cells will convert the most solar energy if they are aligned perpendicular to the sun rays.
- Do not lay the solar panel directly on concrete, sand, rock or other high heat conduction surfaces in direct sunlight. This will cause the solar panel to overheat and significantly reduce the conversion rate and output wattage
- Apple devices has an inner chip that stops the charge of the phone whenever its inner temperature gets too hot. To prevent this kind of situations while charging the phone under the sun, we suggest to use a longer cable and keep the phone in a shadow area.
- Some phones (mostly iPhones) will stop charging if the output gets too low. This might happen if the solar panel temporarily is shaded. Once the charging stops you might have to unplug the device and plug it in again for the charging to start. This is why charging a portable power bank with the solar charger and then charge your devices with the power bank is the best option. You can read our article about portable power banks here
- Always try to keep your solar panels clean and scratch free. Dirt and scratches will reduce the amount of energy converted from the sun.